One of the biggest assets of Facebook as a real functional social networking site and platform is that, it caters to photos or images very efficiently without overcrowding the database. I still remember a few years ago when Facebook restricted the amount of photos a user can upload unto his profile albums, but now the limit seemed to be removed. Moreover, photos have been made more available for sharing, and this includes the famous tagging feature wherein you can tag a user appearing on a photo.
The problem comes in when you as a user did not find a photo appealing or pleasing (anymore). It might be a photo uploaded by you, or it might be uploaded to your wall, or it might be somebody else’s photo you are tagged or in, or it might be simply shared to you. The photo might also be old already that you just wanted to get rid of, or the posting of that photo might not yet be timely. Moreover, the photo that you are talking about might be your profile photo or cover photo. Knowing what reason you have in mind might help you prune down the right solution to deleting it.
To delete or remove your profile photo:
- On your profile, hover your pointer to the profile photo and select Edit Profile Picture.
- Unless you simply want to replace it with another photo or edit the thumbnail appearance, select Remove…
- Click on Okay for confirmation.
To delete or remove your cover photo:
- Hover your pointer to the cover photo and click on Change Cover.
- Click on Remove… if you do not want to replace or reposition the image.
- Click Okay.
Note that removing the profile photo and/or your cover photo does not directly delete the photo from your album, for example.
To delete a photo from any of the albums that you have:
- Select the photo by clicking on it.
- Click on Options appearing beneath the image, and select Delete This Photo.
Alternatively, you can simply click on the pencil icon found on the top right of the thumbnail of the photo.
- Click on Confirm to continue.
To delete the whole album:
- Click to open the album you want to delete. You might want to review if there are photos you want to keep.
- Click on the gear icon appearing on top of the photos, then select Delete Album.
- Continue by clicking the button Delete Album.
Note that you cannot delete a photo or album you do not own. If you happen to be tagged on a photo you do not want, you may want to hide it from your Timeline, or report the photo to its owner.
To hide a photo from your Timeline:
- Click on the photo you want to hide.
- On the top of the right sidebar, click on the drop-down menu found beneath the name of the owner with the corresponding date of upload.
- Select Hidden from Timeline.
If you want to remove the tag or request for the removal of the photo, you can report it by:
- Click on the photo that you want to report about.
- Under Options, select Report/Remove Tag.
- Select if you want to simply untag yourself, or you want the complete removal of the photo.
- Click on Continue.
You may be asked further questions about the reason of the removal of the photo, and you may be required to send a message to the owner of the photo about this request.
For photos that you have shared on your Timeline, you can either hide it, or you may want to delete it. To delete a post: