Learning to forward a Facebook message can make you see the difference of quick, effective communication between multiple parties, and arduous typing and retyping. What follows is a step-by-step tutorial of forwarding a message, a conclusion, and links to references materials.
Tutorial: Forwarding Facebook Message
Important Update: As of Jan 8, 2014
Facebook has now removed the “Forward” feature on their messenger. The only other option you can do is to do the copy and paste method to send forwarded messages to a person.
- At your Facebook homepage, find the “messages” button on the upper left side of the screen, sandwiched between the “News feed” and “Events” buttons. After you click on “messages,” you’ll be taken to your Inbox. Scroll through your messages and select the specific thread you’d like to forward. Once the particular conversation has been selected, it will expand into the middle section of the screen.
- On the top of the page, you will find the name of the contact with whom you were conversing. There should be two buttons, three tabs: one labeled, “new message”, one that reads, “Actions”, preceded by an asterisk-like symbol, and followed by a small magnifying glass with no words. Select “actions”.
- A small scroll down menu will appear, detailing your potential choices within the message. Select “forward messages”, which is the third choice on the list. You will then be prompted to choose the individual messages you would like to forward. Clicking anywhere within the text of the message or the small square box to the left of each message selects that message for forwarding. Repeat this step to select multiple messages for forwarding.
- Click “forward” at the bottom of the page, next to the “cancel” button. You will then be asked to enter the name (provided the party you wish to forward the message to has a Facebook account) or the email of the individual to receive the forwarded message in the search bar at the top of the page. Repeat the process to forward the selected messages to multiple parties. The names of current recipients appear within separate blue boxes within the search bar.
- After you’ve entered the name(s) of those you wish to receive the message, you are given a space to add any new messages or information. Below the text, you’re given the option to attach documents or photos to the message.
- If you are satisfied that your forwarded message includes all of the content you desire, and the proper individual(s) have been selected to receive the message, then move your cursor of the blue box, labeled “send” and click. If not, you’re free to return to any of the previous steps until your message contains exactly what you want—simply begin the process over from the third step.
Other things you need to know:
- As with any email/ online chat utility, the mechanics of operation can often be difficult and daunting. While Facebook streamlines its processes, particularly within the messages folder, locating and navigating individual features can sometimes be harder than it looks.
- The steps can be summed up by the following series of clicks: Messages; actions button; select forward message from the drop down menu; select your message and apply your contacts; send! Congratulations, you’ve just forwarded a message!
However, by following these simple but detailed steps, you’re guaranteed to be managing your messages and fully utilizing Facebook’s fantastic messages feature in no time. Happy messaging!