People are on Facebook for different reasons. Others want to socialize with their friends, get to know other people, be updated with current events or simply just for entertainment. While these categories are mainly about “reaching-out” to others, not all people in Facebook appreciate being “reached-out to”.
That said, here’s how you can prevent the public search engines from seeing your Facebook profile. This will prevent other people from seeing you by simply searching in Google and other search engines.
Learning this is a good way to prevent “unwanted stalkers” from seeing you or contacting you through your Facebook account.
Hiding Your Personal Facebook Account from Search Engines:
- You first have to log-in to your Facebook profile.
- You then have to click the “gear looking button” on the upper right part of the page.
- Once you’ve clicked the button, a dropdown of options will appear.
- You then have to click privacy settings.
- You then have to look at the middle part of the page where it says “Who can look me up?”
- At the bottom part it says “Do you want other search engines to link to your timeline?”
- Choose the “Edit” clickable link on its right side then uncheck the “Let other search engines link to your timeline”
- A pop-up will then appear asking you to confirm. Hit confirm and that should do it.
- As an important note, it may take 3 – 4 weeks before your timeline completely disappears from the search engines. This is because other search engines cache their search results.
These steps will help you hide your Facebook profile from search engines.
Just because you want to reach out to other people by being on Facebook, doesn’t mean that you have to give everyone else access to viewing your profile. Hiding your account will give you the privacy that you need from other searchers.