Spam messages and comments can be very annoying and sometimes destructive to your WordPress website. To prevent spam from infiltrating your website, Akismet is probably best plugin that you can use.
By default, Akismet is already installed in all WordPress websites. But you need to activate it in order to make it work.
In this post, I’ll share an easy step-by-step tutorial on how to install Akismet in your WordPress website. To even make it easier to understand, I included screenshots as well.
Reducing Spam With Akismet
- Login > Select “Plugins” from the left navigation bar > click “Installed Plugins”.
- Now you should see the “Akismet” plugin, click “Activate”.
- Once you’ve activate the plugin, you need to activate your Askiment account. Click the “Activate your Askiment account”.
- Click “Get your API key”.
- Click “Get an Akismet API Key”.
- Now sign up for Akismet with WordPress. (If you already have a WordPress account, you can just click the “I already have a WordPress.com account!” link.).
- Once you’ve finished signing up, login and click the “Sign Up” button under the “Personal” plan. (If you see a “No subscription found” message, just click the “Sign Up for a Subscription” button.)
- To get Akismet plugin for free, slide the price slider to the left until it becomes zero ($0). You can find the slider at the right hand side under the “What is Akismet worth to you?”. PS: You don’t need to enter any credit card details.
- Press “continue” button.
- Now click the “Save your Akismet API Key” button to activate the plugin on your WordPress account.
- Click “Save Changes” button. Voila! You’ve installed a spam fighter!
- You can also find your Akismet API key from your email account.